New motor insurance regulations (Off Road Notice) – June 2011
From June 2011 (following new regulations in April 2011) all vehicles registered in the UK must be insured at all times or declared off the road with a statutory off road notice (SORN)
The registered keeper of a vehicle is responsible for checking that their vehicle has up to date insurance, and will be liable to receive an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL) or a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) if they fail to prove that they have either valid insurance or a valid SORN. The registered keeper of an apparently uninsured vehicle will continue to receive FPN's until their vehicle is insured.
DVLA - The DVLA's register will be frequently checked against the Motor Insurance Database to identify vehicles that are not insured
Registered Keeper - A letter will be sent to any registered keeper whose vehicle appears not to have valid insurance or a valid SORN. The letter will explain that:
- If they have valid insurance, they need to use www.askMID.com to check that their details are entered correctly, and if they are not insured to advise their insurer immediately
- If they are no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle, they must inform the DVLA
- They will also be given the opportunity to explain that they are exempt.
Comparison - Once the keeper has been given time to respond a further comparison will be made, and if the vehicle still has no valid insurance or SORN a £100 FPN will be sent to the registered keeper (reduced to £50 if paid within 21 days).
Enforcement Action - If the vehicle continues to be uninsured, the keeper will become liable for further enforcement action, including:
- Their vehicle being clamped, seized and destroyed
- Court prosecution and a fine up to £1,000
A vehicle is exempt from CIE regulations if it:
- Has a valid SORN
- Is registered in NI, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
- Was exempted from SORN
- Is recorded as stolen and not recovered by the Police
- Is between keepers
- Is scrapped
- Is held in stock by an authorised Motor Dealer
For further information please contact ourselves at email@example.com or on 01274 515747.