Contract Works Insurance

A Dedicated and Experienced in House Claims Team

We create insurance solutions to meet your needs

Assistance with Risk Management

Expert Advice from Over 60 Years of Experience

Why Insure the Contract?

Whether your building project is straightforward or complex, you should have a contract that clearly outlines the project’s essential details. Often, a building project will use the Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) standard contract, although there is no obligation to use a specific form.

This insurance can help cover the cost to repair or redo work that has been damaged by an insured event, such as flood, storm, fire, vandalism, or theft.

You can rest assured that you are covered in respect of the works being carried out. Contract works insurance is a comprehensive cover that often includes tools and equipment that have been hired, as well as purchased materials that have not yet been installed in the building.

Construction projects can be complicated undertakings, and if any problems were to arise before the project is completed, they can become difficult to resolve. Imagine you are working on the framework of a two-storey detached home. One night, a devastating summer storm rolls in and relentlessly batters the building site, effectively undoing several weeks of progress. Situations like these call for Contract Works Insurance (CWI). CWI, also known as Contractors All Risk Insurance, provides cover for work that is underway on a building site.

Who should have Contract Works Insurance?

The businesses who generally take out this kind of insurance are usually building contractors, property developers, electricians, bricklayers, carpenters, plasterers, tilers and others working in the construction industry. 

However, some of your clients may require you to have this policy prior to work commencing.

What are the Extensions?

Depending on the potential risks of a project, you may need to supplement your Contract Works Insurance policy with extensions to avoid any gaps in coverage. 

These could be:

  • Debris Removal - Cover for removal of damaged materials.
  • Public Authority Requests - Cover for any request made by local councils or other public bodies.
  • Professional Fees - Ensures costs are covered if you are required to use specifically-trained individuals such as architects or lawyers.
  • Plans/Drawings - Changes to original plans or loss of drawings resulting in delays. 
  • Expediting Expenses (such as overtime) - Completing the job as quickly as possible.
  • Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) Contract Conditions - Covers for conditions that require changes to construction.
  • Off-Site Storage - Financial protection for materials and equipment stored off-site.

What are the Exclusions?

There are a handful of exclusions that are shared by most insurers:

  • Loss or Damage (due to defective design, materials or workmanship) - Covers for costs of loss or damage to construction.
  • Policy Excess - The specific amount detailed on your policy which is paid on a claim. 
  • Inventory Losses - Stock and materials that go unused. 
  • Wear and Tear - Damage sustained due to material or equipment being used or due to normal conditions.
  • Any Consequential Losses - An indirect impact caused by damage to property or equipment.
  • Pollution and Contamination - Work has caused pollution or contamination to an extent that breaches environmental regulations. 

A policy can be arranged for a specific contract or an annual basis.

To find out more and to discuss your needs, please contact us on 01274 515 747 or email us at


Request a callback

Send us your details and we'll be in touch.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Property Owners

If you own a property it is important to have appropriate insurance covers in place.
Learn More

Business Interruption

We would always recommend insuring on a Gross Revenue / Gross Profit basis, together with additional costs as from experience following a loss, the policyholder would have to spend more money than necessary in order to keep the business functioning
Learn More

Directors & Officers Liability

In today’s rapidly changing business climate, regulators are increasingly more vigilant about internal controls and corporate governance meaning the need for superior Directors and Officers Liability cover has never been greater.
Learn More

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional Indemnity insurance will cover expenses incurred in your defence if you are alleged to provide inadequate advice, services, design or specification resulting in your client losing money.
Learn More

Cyber Liability & Financial Crime

During the last five years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of cyber attacks and financial fraud to businesses throughout the UK.
Learn More

Crisis Management, Kidnap & Ransom

Business people making trips to high risk countries around the globe can put themselves at risk from kidnapping, ransom and other types of crises.
Learn More


Have you considered Terrorism Insurance? Did you know that Terrorism cover is a standard exclusion from all UK insurance policies?
Learn More

Hauliers/Freight Forwarders Liability Insurance

As a haulier operating for hire and reward or a Freight Forwarder, you are exposed to claims in respect of your legal responsibilities for injury to your employees and public, together with property damage arising from your activities.
Learn More

Marine, Transit & Cargo Insurance

Cargo comes in all shapes and sizes and insurance plays a vital role in covering you from a variety of incidents that can occur while in transit.
Learn More

Legal Expenses

In the event of legal action, having an insurance policy to cover your costs is vital for your business.
Learn More

Commercial Combined

Commercial combined insurance is designed to provide cover to protect you against risks to your business and can be tailored to your requirements.
Learn More

Computer Insurance

Every business in the world now relies on computer and technology in order to keep its operations on track.
Learn More

Employers Liability

Employers’ Liability insurance is a legal requirement and failure can lead to you being handed significant fines.
Learn More

Products Liability

Having Product Liability Insurance is essential for your business if you supply a product.
Learn More

Public Liability

Public Liability Insurance is essential cover for businesses offering protection against compensation claims if clients, suppliers or the public suffer injury or property damage because of your business.
Learn More

Employment Practices Liability

Employee litigation is currently on the rise, making it even more essential to have Employment Practices Liability Insurance in place.
Learn More

Engineering Inspection Cover & Machinery Insurance

It is a legal requirement for regular engineering inspections of lifting and pressurised machinery and equipment in your commercial premises.
Learn More

Group Travel Insurance

Having company Travel Insurance is beneficial to protect the key people of your business who regularly have to travel.
Learn More

Machinery Movement

Machinery Movement Insurance covers you for any installed machinery or equipment in your possession at a specified location.
Learn More

Motor Fleet Insurance

Motor insurance is a legal requirement, and Motor Fleet Insurance is a more flexible approaching to insuring vehicles used by a company.
Learn More

Motor trade insurance

Motor trade insurance is a vital requirement for anyone buying, selling or running a car garage.
Learn More

Shops Insurance

Shop Insurance is primarily designed to provide cover for all areas of a retail business with commercial premises.
Learn More

Tradesman Insurance

There are thousands of different tradesmen all with varying needs of insurance due to the levels of risks with their work.
Learn More

Product Recall Insurance

Product Recall InsuranceA Dedicated and Experienced in House Claims TeamWe create insurance solutions to meet your needsAssistance with Risk ManagementExpert Advice from Over 60 Years of ExperienceAny business selling goods to the public, particularly those in the food and drink
Learn More

Intellectual Property Insurance

Intellectual Property InsuranceA Dedicated and Experienced in House Claims TeamWe create insurance solutions to meet your needsAssistance with Risk ManagementExpert Advice from Over 60 Years of ExperienceDo you have intellectual property that is Copyrighted, Patented or Trade Marked, are you
Learn More

Credit Insurance

Credit InsuranceA Dedicated and Experienced in House Claims TeamWe create insurance solutions to meet your needsAssistance with Risk ManagementExpert Advice from Over 60 Years of ExperienceCredit and its associated problems are huge concerns in business, so how do you protect
Learn More

Life Science Insurance

Life Science InsuranceA Dedicated and Experienced in House Claims TeamWe create insurance solutions to meet your needsAssistance with Risk ManagementExpert Advice from Over 60 Years of ExperienceFlexible InsuranceProtecting your FutureFamily and CommunityThe life science sector is continually evolving, and insurance
Learn More

Signup to the l wood newsletter to receive tips, guidance and news.

For further details on how your data is used and stored, read our Privacy Policy

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.