Brexit Green Card Requirements

As a consequence of leaving the European Union (EU), the UK entered a transition period which ends on the 31st December 2020. From 1st January 2021 there will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe.

If you intend to tow a trailer, caravan, or boat you will need a separate Green Card for it.

Insurers will require up to 28 days notice to issue a Green Card; therefore, if you intend driving in Europe, we will need the following information:-

  1. The vehicle including Registration.
  2. The Owner of the vehicle or to whom the vehicle is leased.
  3. The dates (inclusive) of the intended Journey/Journeys.
  4. Which countries will be visited.
  5. Please note a Green Card will be required for visits to the Republic of Ireland.
  6. Full names of every driver that could drive whilst in Europe – if you are not 100% sure who is going on the journey, for now, please note all potential drivers.
  7. Will a Trailer/Caravan/Boat, or similar, be towed and, if so, we will require details.
  8. What address you would like the Green Card to be sent to.

Upon receipt of this information, we will apply on your behalf to insurers for the Green Card.

There will probably be a charge for Insurers issuing this Document.

Any questions please contact ourselves.