Tackling economic crime
Including Cyber crime, Money laundering, Corruption, Fraud
Economic crime is a serious issue. Fraud alone is estimated to cost the UK £73 billion each year, but too few cases are brought to justice. The UK Government has now placed the fight against economic crime high on its agenda for 2015, Financial Institutions and Senior Management should do the same.
What can business owners do:
- Ensure staff are not accessing the wrong kind of website
- Scrutinize your vendors
- Do a cyber – risk assessment
- Get cybersecurity Insurance
Ask yourself these questions:
- How much does my firm use the internet?
- How much information is being stored on it?
- How are we communicating with our clients?
- What does that risk mean to us in terms of potential loss?
- How can we safeguard ourselves?
Answers : Insure and train staff internally
One third of Britons are failing on basic security measures like redirecting post when moving or updating their firewalls to protect their identity from criminals. 50 % of people over the age of 65 have been targeted by fraudsters. 70 % of all ages who took part in a recent survey (Age UK) said that they had personally lost money.
Help is available from:
National Fraud Intelligence Bureau