Flood Planning and Preparation

After the devastation of October’s Storm Babet, with loss of life, great destruction and disruption to travel over the UK, it is becoming clear that flood planning and preparation needs to be better prioritised.

At L Wood, we understand how catastrophic flooding can be, for your home, personal items, family, and mental health. We’ve put together a guide to help you through this planning stage, so that if the worst happens, you’ll have taken the best preventative measures.

Check your flood risk

Wherever you are in the UK, you should check the risk of flooding for your area, so you can take necessary precautions. Gov.uk has this service, with which you can easily check your area’s flood risk. And, if you’re in a risky area, you can sign up to get flood warnings.

Be prepared 

Once you’re aware of the risks of flooding in your area, make sure you’re prepared, and educated in what to do in the event of an emergency.

There are many important ways in which to prepare yourself for flooding, including:

Home insurance

Ensure that your home insurance will cover any flood damage. With Buildings Insurance and Contents Cover, you can have peace of mind that even if the worst happens, your possessions are not at risk.

A flood plan

You should be aware of the procedures to take if a flood occurs. This includes collecting relevant documents, medication and contact details, and moving your belongings to a safe location. Make sure to turn off gas, water, and electricity, and to follow any advice given by emergency services.

Flood barriers 

It is important to create flood barriers, particularly if you live in an especially vulnerable area. Buy sandbags from local DIY stores, or make your own from rubble bags filled with water, or gel which swells up to help form a watertight seal. Be sure to dispose of sandbags once they have been used.

Reporting a flood

In the event of an emergency, it’s important that you take the steps to report it. If there is an immediate risk to life, call 999 as soon as possible. For flooded roads, drains, gullies, manholes, watercourse flooding, or water coming up through the ground, contact your local government. For river floods, call the Environment Agency. For public sewers and burst water mains, call your local water provider. For private drains, water in cellars, or floodwater runoff, contact the property owner. 

Flooding can be highly distressing – but we’re here to help. For any information about Home Insurance, claims, risk management solutions, or advice, get in touch with L Wood today.