Brexit Update – Green Card Guidance

With the current exit date of 31 October looming and a no-deal Brexit still a possibility, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) reminds consumers and businesses of the insurance implications if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Guidance from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) and Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) is that drivers should be prepared to have a Green Card when driving abroad after midnight on the 31st October 2019.

Why is a Green Card needed?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that customers are suitably insured to drive in these countries. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.

What does it mean to your motor insurance policy?
At present,  customers who have a motor insurance policy that allows them to drive within the European Union, the cover is still in place and nothing will change. If you are planning a trip that is completed before the 31st October 2019 then there is no change.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?
As every insurer has a different way of issuing them, we will require at least 14 days’ notice in order to process the Green Card.

The ABI have issued more detailed guidance and some FAQs for the industry. Click here to read these

For further information, please give us a call on 01274 515 747 or email us at mail@lwood.co.uk.